The Federal Ministry of Education says that all examination registrations from 2021 would have a National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) number.
The number would henceforth, be carried on certificates in order to curb malpractices in the sector.
The Minister of Education, Mr Adamu Adamu, disclosed this in his address at the 2020 Policy Meeting on Admissions to Tertiary Institutions on Tuesday in Abuja.
Adamu was represented by the Minister of State for Education, Mr Chukwwuemeka Nwajiuba.
He said that concerted efforts were being put in place by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) to ensure the procedure.
According to him, cases of impersonation at the nation’s public examination have not abated and so, the Ministry was poised to ensure that the issue of identity management in examination was addressed in the future.
He said: ” The Ministry would be interfacing with the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) early enough before the next round of registration for all public examinations.
” This is in order to explore the possibility of achieving the single identity that would be foolproof.
” JAMB is therefore urged to re-engage NIMC to restart the joint effort.
” It is hoped that the success of the project would be such that would be easy and seamless for other bodies to latch on as all examination registrations from 2021 will have a NIMC number that will be carried on all certificates thereafter.
” This will save our nation from the ongoing embarrassment in both the judicial and political space.”
Adamu reiterated that in order to curb impersonation and other vices, no institution was allowed to recapture biometric or photograph of any candidate for any other purpose outside the details provided by JAMB.
He added this included biometrics for post-Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) screening.
” Rather, the Board had been directed to make both biometric and facial images of candidates available to the Institutions at no cost.
” In addition, and for the purpose of emphasis, no instituton is allowed to charge more than N2000, including bank charges, for screening processes.
” The Ministry is monitoring compliance and we will not hesitate to santion anyone who violates any of these directives,” he said.
The Minister also urged all institutions to ensure complaince to the timeline agreed at the policy meeting on the completion of the admission exercise.
He stated this was to enable the sector realign the academic calendar and the period of admissions, with the global dictates.
Adamu also emphasised that no school was to offer any admissions outside JAMB’s Central Admissions Processing System (CAPS).
Those who default, the Minister warned, would be endangering the system as well as confusing candidates.
Adamu said all guidelines leading to a successful exercise must be adhered to or Heads of Institutions would continue to be held responsible for actions and inactions in the process and implementation of the exercise.
The Minister also noted that the sector was mindful of the fact that majority of applicants into tertiary institutions were still waiting to write the qualifying examinations, such as the West Africa Examinations Council (WAEC).
The ministry, he explained, was still discussing with examination bodies on ways to respond to the challenge.
He, however, urged JAMB to take advantage of the situation and consider candidates with previous years of Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) and other qualifying results, to proceed on the admission process.
” Whatever arrangements the country comes up within the long run, will surely accommodate those who will be taking the examination when the opportunity to do so is worked out,” he said.