Kano Sate Government says it has adopted proactive measures to contain the spread of Coronavirus pandemic after the first case was recorded in the state.
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje, in a broadcast on the index case recorded in Kano metropolis, said that commercial tricycle operators had been banned from conveying more than one passenger at a time as part of social distancing measures.
He said that the index case was a 75-year-old former diplomat with no history of foreign trip in the past six months.
Ganduje said: “We confirm that a retired diplomat, who is 75 years old, has tested positive for the virus.
This is the first case in Kano. The man is being treatment at Kwanar Dawaki Isolation Centre, near Kano.
“We are already identifying people who were in close contact with the patient.
“The man was said to have travelled to Lagos, Abuja and Kaduna in the past two weeks, respectively, and returned from Kaduna on March 25.
“He had several engagements with family and friends, including attending weddings and Friday prayers.”
Ganduje emphasised that collaboration with clerics and market leaders would be intensified to educate the people on precautionary measures against the dreaded COVID-19.
The governor enjoined residents to pray for an end to the pandemic, practice social distancing and ensure good personal hygiene to prevent spread of the virus.
Leave a Reply